One More Question, Red Patches on Tongue

08/21/2009

Question:

thanks for the information on geographic tongue you sent me. I checked it and it does sound in a way like what i have. But I have only one more question.... I knew that geographic tongue can be papillae-less patches on the tongue, I have this as well.

Is it possible to get both types of geographic tongue at once?

Cause I get the papillae-less ones at the back, but the ones i have on the tip and front sides are just red, like groups of enlarged taste buds, but i dont lose the papillae on these ones. they don`t really jurt or burn, there is just this weird tingly feeling that lets me know they are there. Also they only get the white lining edges in the morning when i wake up,not after that, is this normal?

thank you very much, you are very kind doctor.

Answer:

What you describe on the tip and front sides of your tongue could be a variation of geographic tongue that does not fully develop to cause the temporary loss of surrounding papillae. Given the minor symptoms you describe, this seems the most likely explanation. 

If you have any remaining concerns, however, I recommend you seek a personal consultation with your dentist. It is hard to put a price on peace of mind.

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration