White Painful Bumps

08/24/2009

Question:

I had a deep cleaning about 5 days ago which included some work with the sonic...something high pressured water, 11 shots, scraping, laser work and polishing. A couple of days later, I noticed white bumps on the outside AND inside of my gumline! They are white and painful. They have not burst but I cannot eat or brush my teeth. The doctor said to do salt water rinses and to continue using Peridox(?) mouthrinse. I cannot find anything on the internet that comes close to my problems. I would also like to mention that I am 8 months pregnant and have lost 3.5 pounds in one week. Please help.

Answer:

You should be seen by an oral pathology specialist to have the lesions looked at and if you still have the vesicles present, this could be confirmed by a cytology.  A board-certified oral surgeon would certainly also be familiar with this possible condition.

Find an Oral Maxillofacial Pathologist Near You

Wendy  J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS Wendy J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene