Jaw Lining Coming Out

09/09/2009

Question:

The lining of my jaw is coming out in small fine strands like. It does not hurt but each morning I can wipe the inside of my mouth along the inner cheeks and have several strands of lining. What could this possible be and how can I stop it from happening?

Answer:

From your description, this sounds as if you might be experiencing a typical reaction to tartar-control toothpaste. This is a harmless sloughing (peeling off of the very outer layers of the mouth lining) that usually appears as filmy white strands of material. The condition is painless, but the strands can be annoying for some people. 

We think this may be a reaction to the high levels of flavoring agents that are included in such toothpastes, and if you simply stop using this type of toothpaste, the problem should vanish in a day or two. A simple fluoride-containing toothpaste without all of the fancy whitening/tartar control materials in it should be fine as a substitute. 

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology