Breast Cancer

New calcium deposit

09/14/2009

Question:

I am 64 years old and a second mamogram. The dr gave me the results That he was on the fence about the results. First he said that he would be Ok if I would like to follow up in 6 months. Then he started talking about a bisopy. I have lost 30 pounds in the last three months. I ask him if that would have any thing to do with it He said no. My gut tell me to wait 3 months and have a follow up.He said that it was new Waiting for your answer Thanks

Answer:

Usually the radiologist that reads the mammogram makes a recommendation about follow-up (in 6 months) or an immediate biopsy, based on the findings. Following that recommendation is usually reasonable, if the film was read at a good facility. Weight loss that is rapid and unexplained may need some investigation, separate from the new calcifications on the mammogram.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD