Closed Cervix

09/01/2009

Question:

I am one year into menopause, and due to the discovery of calcified fibroids my doctore ordered a sonogram to see if there were others. Besides there being more they saw that the lining of my uterus is quit thick and ordered a biopsy. Unfortunate the doctor was unable to do the biopsy due to my cervix being closed. She has now ordered a DNC. My question is what causes the cervix to close and am I at risk of having cervical cancer because of this? What other concerns should I have because of a closed cervix.

Answer:

A biopsy of the endometrium, or lining of the uterus, is ordinarily a simple test done in the office with a small tube that extracts some tissue from inside the uterus to check for abnormal growths or cancer.  When the opening to the uterine cavity, or cervical canal, becomes very narrow and rigid, this procedure can become difficult or impossible to do without sufficient anesthesia and specialized instruments.  That is why a dilation and curettage (D&C) in the operating room may be necessary to get the same information.

The cervical canal may be closed (the medical term is stenotic) when a woman is older, has had no children, or has had a previous procedure that scars the cervix.  Sometimes there is no particular reason.  Cervical stenosis does not by itself increase the risk of cancer.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology