Throat hurts when talking

10/14/2009

Question:

hello, ive been singing for 6 months now, and for 2 months my troat hurts a little when i talk i also have these strange red dots in the back of my troat.

i have singin lessons and i have good tecnique now, it could it be that i sung to loud and to high at the beginning when i had a not so good technique, so that i overused my vocal cords according to my speach terapist.

ive been taking vocal rest and singing only in my comfortable range and drinking no alcohol for a week now (but it doesn`t improves)im trying to hold this for at least 6 weeks ( i drank pretty much (6 times a month but then much alcohol)

My voice is not hoarse.

could it be that i have contact ulcers? and that the recovering of my voice takes long, and is it a good thing that i stopped drinking alcohol (for at least six weeks)and what could those red dots be?

thank you very much,

Answer:

Without seeing the red dots, I cannot comment on what they are. In general, you can see red areas in the back of the throat due to infection, or irritation; the latter is often due to allergies or acid reflux from the stomach. The pain you feel may be due to muscle soreness - this can happen when you push too hard, but it could be due to many other things. If you are still having the pain, I would strongly recommend seeing an otolaryngologist who specializes in voice disorders.

Siddarth M Khosla, MD Siddarth M Khosla, MD