Burning Tongue and Red Patch on Roof of Mouth

09/01/2009

Question:

It started in June 2008 when I developed a red patch on the roof of my mouth that was slightly tingly but bearable. Then came the tingly / burnning tongue and my breath became quite bad and I developed a metalic taste in my mouth. My doc said it was thrush and gave me some tablets to suck, but they did no good. Early 09 this stopped and everything went back to normal for a few months and it has all come back again. My dentist said its normal and corsadil mouthwash does not work? Any ideas as this is starting to have an effect on my confidence. I am a 25 year old female

Answer:

Your symptoms are consistent with a condition known as burning mouth syndrome, but the red patch on the roof of your mouth could be a yeast infection (erythematous candidiasis), which can also cause a burning sensation at times. Neither of these are serious problems, but you need to see an oral pathologist in order to determine what is going on. Addition information regarding these two conditions can be found at the links below.

Burning Mouth Syndrome
Burning Mouth/Burning Tongue Syndrome (AAOMP)

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology