Face and Jaw Surgery

Root tip

09/14/2009

Question:

I have a root tip that has to be extracted. I am afraid to have it extracted because it has a bubble sore beneath it and it looks infected. 2 1/2 weeks ago, I was on antibiotics for 14 days because I had to have another tooth extracted and after the tooth was extracted, I continued to take the antibiotic for three more days. With all this antibiotic, it didn`t seem to clear up this bubble or infection under the root tip. If its infected, I think the antibiotic should have cleared it up. I do not know what to do. I`m afraid to get this root tip extracted if its infected - please advise.

Answer:

You may want to proceed with the removal of the root tip. The 'bubble' you have, may be a fistula, an outlet for the chronic inflammation related to previous infection or drainage in the area. If the source of that inflammation (the decaying root tip) is removed, that area should heal well without any untoward scenario.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Deepak  Krishnan, DDS Deepak Krishnan, DDS
Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery