Diabetes

Diabetes

09/17/2009

Question:

I am 29 yrs old, newly married , no kid.recently i know that i have diabetes. will diabetes effect my child if i plan.

Answer:

From the language and the timing of these two messages, I am going to assume that the same person asked both of the following two questions and I am therefore responding to both together:

"I am 29 yrs old, newly married , no kid.recently i know that i have diabetes. will diabetes effect my child if i plan."

"Does father Diabetes geans will effect their future child."

There certainly are effects of genes from both parents on an individual's risk for diabetes.  Likewise, when a woman who is pregnant has diabetes, there are some very important potential effects of the mother's diabetes on the pregnancy and on the infant of the diabetic mother.  It is important for a woman with diabetes contemplating getting pregnant to get their blood sugar under the absolutely best possible control BEFORE becoming pregnant in order to minimize the risk of major malformations on the infant.  It is important that the pregnancy be planned and that appropriate measures are taken to delay pregnancy until that blood sugar control level is achieved and the mother's care provider agrees that it is safe for both mother and fetus.

It is absolutely essential that you establish a relationship with a health care provider before getting pregnant who can help you and your child have the best possible outcome - or if you have already become pregnant, to seek prompt medical input without delay.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine