Sarcoidosis

Sarcoidosis in the Testicles

09/17/2009

Question:

One of my lymph nodes was removed and tested. It was determined to be sarcoidosis. I also have it in my lungs. Now I have mases in my testicles. One doctor wants to biopsy the other said most likely it is sarcoidosis lets watch it. Both say it doesn`t look like cancer. If I have a biopsy most likely I will lose a portion of my testicle maybe all of it. Is it a chance it is cancer? If it is sarcoidosis can it turn in to cancer?

Answer:

There have been a number of published reports of sarcoidosis occuring simultaneously with testicular cancer. Thus, you are advised not to ignore the possibility that the testicular process is cancerous. I would imagine the urologist (the doctors who would advise you on how to evaluate for cancer of the testicles) would be able to sample the testicular masses without removing them. For instance, a needle biopsy might be possible. 

I strongly recommend that you follow up with a urologist to help guide your management. 

Of note, it is likely that sarcoidosis would regress with usual treatments (e.g., corticosteroids), whereas testicular cancers would continue to grow. Thus, any testicular mass that grows despite adequate treatment for the sarcoidosis would be suspicious for cancer. 

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine