Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Extract upper central incisors - 85 year-old

10/01/2009

Question:

My mother, who resides in a nursing facility in Florida (I am in Chicago), received an oral exam, at my request, by a local DDS. I was informed that the following courses of treatment were recommended: (1) extraction of the #8 & #9, (2) repair of an existing upper partial, and (3) deep cleaning.....I am concerned about the removal of her upper central incisors. Simply put, I am concerned about the impact that such extractions will have upon her self-image.....having no front teeth. For reference, my mother was for 35-yrs a cosmetics & personal appearance specialist for upper-end women`s stores in New York and Chicago like Bonwit Teller, Harvy Bendel, etc... In short, there are some vanity issues here.

Options? Questions I should ask? Assurances I should seek?

Answer:

Options. Is difficult to tell without looking to the patient.

Questions you should ask:

Assurances you should seek?

None, is up to the dentist. Usually for repairs or modification of existing partial there is not warranty, if is not redone.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine