Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Pain From Eating Sweet Foods

10/05/2009

Question:

I experience considerable pain in a particular area of my mouth when I eat anything sweet -- even fruit that has a lot of natural sugar, and also frozen desserts like ice cream. It`s hard to localize exactly, but I think it comes from one or more specific teeth. I don`t feel infected, although I do have some gum recession and possible nerve exposure,

I know you can`t diagnose at a distance, and that I need to see a dentist, and also to avoid these foods at least for the moment. But can you tell me some likely possible causes, so that I might guide be better informed and guide the dentist on his or her examination? For example, a simple cavity, or simple tooth sensitivity, or other psssible causes.

Thanks for your help!

Answer:

Simple causes are:

1. Accumulation of plaque and bacteria in some areas that cause caries, bone lost, gum disease.

2. Excessive erosion or abrasion of the teeth (especially in senior patients or grinders) can cause sensitivity.

3. Natural wear of the teeth can cause sensitivity.

4. Stress can cause muscle and tooth pain, clenching or grinding.

5. Systemic disease (HIV, AIDS, Cancer, etc).

6. Psychiatric problems.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine