NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Tuesday, October 6, 2015
What Can I Expect Next?
I am a 49 year old white female. Creatinine is 1.23 (up from 1.1 3 months ago), eGFR is 48. I`ve been referred to a nephrologist. What type of tests can I expect to go through? What questions should I ask the nephrologist? Can I get kidney function back? Thanks.
Questions: The question, "Can I get my kidney function back?" is a good place to start. You will want to know:
- What your target BP should be
- What meds (prescription and OTC) to avoid
- What caused the loss of function
- Any diet changes
- What is the prognosis
- There will be more urine and blood tests.
- There may be a need for renal imaging with either an ultrasound or CT scan.
- Sometimes a kidney biopsy is done, but not in every case.
If you have any prior kidney function (blood) tests from a different hospital, doctor or encounter you should bring it along even if it is several years old.
Thomas Zipp, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University