Less Menstrual Flow

10/07/2009

Question:

I used to have irregular periods with heavy bleeding and lot of stomach pain as well as back pain. After the birth of my kids the periods became regulr but the pain and flow cont till 5-7 days. Since last month the flow is less and no pain as well. This month the period came 5 days before which never happens with me and the flow is too less. So how do I know the problem and solve it??

Answer:

Many women do not have clock-work-like menstrual periods. This can be due to a variety of reasons, including changes in contraception use, excessive weight gain or weight loss, hyperplasia (where the lining of the uterus becomes thicker than normal), uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus that can cause irregular bleeding), uterine polyps (also a type of begin tumor-like structure), miscarriages, thyroid problems,and uterine cancer. Additionally, the menstrual cycle can change with increasing age and stress (positive or negative).  

You should talk with you doctor to see what may be causing your irregular bleeding and to develop a better understanding of your particular concerns.

Further information can be found at the link below. 

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN
Associate Professor Emeritus