Very Short Period

10/07/2009

Question:

I had sex the day before my period was due, and am very worried that im pregnant. My period started the next day but ended within a 6 hours and was very light. Is this a sign that I should get a test?

Answer:

The most likely time to become pregnant is midway between your menstrual periods, so it is unlikely (but always possible) that you would become pregnant on the day before your period began.  Just the fact that you were so stressed about becoming pregnant could have resulted in the short period, although there are lots of other reasons.

See if the next period is more like your normal. If you don't have another period, you probably should take a home pregnancy test.

Meanwhile, the way to prevent this stress is to be sure that you are using safe and effective contraception. Please ask your health provider to discuss alternative forms with you, so that you can choose the one that best fits your needs.

Thanks for visiting NetWellness.

Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN
Associate Professor Emeritus