Urinary Disorders

Urinary Tract Infection

01/05/2010

Question:

I suspect that I had urinary tract infection. My doctor took a urine sample and checked it with dipstick and said everything is normal. Is it possible that everything is normal even though I have symptoms that are similar to urinary tract infection? Please tell me what to do in this case?

Answer:

The dipstick chemical urinalysis checks for several urine components including white blood cells (inflammation) and nitrites ( a by-product of bacterial metabolism). The dipstick is usually sensitive to infection. In cases where the dipstick is positive or equivocal, urine can be submitted for culture and sensitivity- culture and sensitivity is not accurate if you are taking antibiotics at the time of testing. Other causes for urinary tract discomfort may require cystoscopy. If you are a male, prostatitis may be missed by dipstick evaluation- requires prostate exam for expressed prostatic secretions.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology