Right before I was diagnosed cervical cancer

10/19/2009

Question:

Right before I was diagnosed cervical cancer, I had an xray of my lungs for a pretty serious cough. The xray revealed calcified granuloma and I was treated with steroids and cough syrup.

I also have a large ovarian cyst that is being monitored with ultrasound and CA125 test.

Should I follow up with a pulmonary doctor to make sure my lung diagnosis is accurate?

Thank you

Answer:

If you have concerns about the initial diagnosis, I would recommend following up with a pulmonologist. Although there is a good chance that the original diagnosis was accurate, the history of an underlying malignancy (in your case, cervical cancer) may prompt a more thorough evaluation,especially if you are having pulmonary symptoms. If any non-calcified nodules were noted, the usual practice is to follow these radiographically for two years to ensure that they do not change. If you have had other x-rays done in the past, it would be helpful to bring them along for comparison.

Jennifer  McCallister, MD Jennifer McCallister, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep