Cold and Flu

Can I get the flu vaccine and h1n1??

10/14/2009

Question:

i was diagnosed with graves disease several months ago,and i was told not to get the flu shot,and not to get near anyone sick,i am taking methimizole 30mg,and attenolol every day,as well as topamax and mitrex for migrane,my employer,a cleveland hospital has just made it a must that everyone get the flu vaccine and h1n1 shot,or wear a mask in patient care,i have direct patient care,is it true i cannot get this shot?and if so can you explain?

Answer:

I recommend that you discuss your specific medical situation and your employer's requirements with your personal physician or physicians. You may wish to ask your physician why you were told not to get the flu shot. The same reason you could not get the flu shot may also be the reason you should not get the H1N1 flu shot. You may need your physician to intercede on your behalf with your employer.

Go to the Cold and Flu health topic, where you can:

John  Andrews, MD, MPH John Andrews, MD, MPH
Assistant Senior Vice President Medical Center
Director University Health Services