What`s My Disease?

10/27/2009

Question:

After two months of caesarean delivery, I felt strong pain in my lower back and stomach. It causes me to vomit. I was rushed in the hospital and had a urinalysis. They found many blood in my urine and bacteria also. They request me for a K.U.B. ultrasound. My untrasound results caliectasis, right kidney. Nephrolithiases, left kidney. Normal ultrasound of the urinary bladder.

I don`t understand these medical terms. What kind of disease do I have? And what medicine or medical treatment shall I take? Thank you.

Answer:

Here are some explanations of the medical terms:

"They found many blood in my urine and bacteria also":  This suggests an infection, which is treated with an antibiotic (such as Bactrim or cipro).

"They request me for a K.U.B. ultrasound.  My ultrasound results caliectasis, right kidney":  The ultrasound (sound-wave exam) shows that the part of your right kidney that collects urine and funnels it into the bladder is mildly enlarged, suggesting that something may be blocking (or partly blocking) the flow of urine out of the kidney. 

"Nephrolithiasis, left kidney":  This means kidney stones -- sometimes stones can be very large, sometimes tiny.  Sometimes a stone can block the ureter (the tube which leads from the kidney to the bladder) and cause tremendous pain.   

Based on the information you have given, it is unclear whether any of the three conditions you have described are related, or whether they are related in any way to your recent pregnancy or C-section.  In order to try to put everything together, it would be best for you to discuss these results with the doctor who ordered the ultrasound for you.  Your doctor may also want to send you to a urologist (a surgical kidney doctor), who can help with kidney stones and surgically repair problems such as kidney blockage; and/or to a nephrologist (a medical kidney doctor), who can try to figure out why you got an infection in the first place and be sure it's properly treated, also may be able to prescribe meds or diet so that you will be less likely to form more kidney stones in the future.

Mildred   Lam, MD Mildred Lam, MD