Head and Neck Cancer

Nodule in the Left Parotid Gland

10/27/2009

Question:

I am asking for help. I think my DR is not exactly competent. This is what my CT of the neck said, and the DR said it was pretty normal. "There is a questionable 1 x 0.9 cm nodule in the left parotid gland. There are enlarged lymph nodes in bilateral neck level IB, IIA and IIB areas measuring up to 1.1 x 0.8 cm in the right level IIA area." What does this mean?

Answer:

You are missing some information. I would like to know why the scan was ordered in the first place. To me the report does not seem alarming. The presence of nodes is expected and they are within the normal range in regards to size. The nodularity in the parotid could also be secondary to a node but the possibility of a small tumor needs to be kept in mind. Your physician had the privilege to examine you and is in the best position to explain to you the significance of this scan.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery