Pain During Orgasm

10/26/2009

Question:

Since having a hysterectomy in May 2009, I am experiencing pain during orgasm. There is not any pain during intercourse or after intercourse, just during an orgasm. I did not have this problem before the surgery. I also experienced pain after urination, for about a month or so after the surgery. I have already had a exam, but my physician can not find the source of my problem. PLEASE HELP!

Answer:

Pain that occurs only during orgasm is a particularly frustrating problem.  Yours is a difficult question because much is unknown about exactly what is involved when orgasm occurs. 

What we do know is that orgasm involves involuntary rhythmic contractions of the muscles in the vagina and pelvic floor.  Presumably, pain could be occurring because these muscles have become particularly sensitive or because they are pulling on scar tissue that is sensitive from the surgery. 

Scar sensitivity may take months to improve, and it is still possible that this condition will continue to improve over time.  Other techniques that have sometimes been tried include Kegel exercises (to strengthen the vaginal muscles and perhaps make them less sensitive) or injections of steroid into the scar tissue around the top of the vagina (to reduce inflammation). Thanks for visiting NetWellness.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology