Growth in my throat

10/27/2009

Question:

For several years I have been getting a white growth in my throat. This growth is a small white soft substance that smells bad some sort of bacteria or food particles accumulating in a small pocket in my throat from removing my tonsils. I am able to remove the white substance and it is soft and I an able to squash it between my fingers. How can I prevent this growth from reoccurring, When this small white growth appears I get a sore throat and the flue. How can I stop this growth or what is this growth .

Answer:

I am not sure if you are saying that your tonsils have been removed or not.  This soft white substance often accumulates within the pits of the tonsil.  I think you have two options to try.  You can try gargling with either mouthwash, salt water or half strength peroxide.  I would recommend gargling 2-3 times a day for a few weeks to see if this helps. 

The other option would be to try medication that is aimed at treating acid reflux.  Many patients I see with your complaint often have acid reflux and do much better after 6-12 weeks of acid reducing medication. 

Patients with your problem often complain of mucus accumulation in the throat (often called sinus drainage), intermittent cough, frequent throat clearing, a lump in the throat sensation and possibly a sour or acid taste in the throat.  An evaluation by an ear, nose and throat specialist is recommended to make sure you do not have something more serious affecting your throat and to make some recommendations to improve your problem.

If you have not had your tonsils removed, removing them is also an option.

Good luck with this problem.

Keith M Wilson, MD Keith M Wilson, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Head and Neck Division