Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Unerupted Molar with No Roots

10/26/2009

Question:

My daughter is 14 years old. It was recently discovered by our dentist that one of her 12-year molars has not erupted, and, apparently, it has no roots. The dentist said this is uncommon. What does this mean for my daughter? Will the tooth need to be exposed and pulled out?The dentist suggested braces but I don`t see how this will help. Can you please explain. Thanks.

Answer:

Delayed development of permanent molars is uncommon, but can usually be easily managed. Most often these teeth do eventually develop and erupt, so conservative treatment is usually indicated. The eruption of the 12 year molar opposite the unerupted tooth must be monitored and, many times, another molar may be missing.

Your daughter should see a pediatric dentist who will complete an exam, review her radiographs, and explain the issues and treatment options to consider.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry