Vaginal Bleeding During and After Sex

11/05/2009

Question:

I`ve been looking online to explain why I have been have been bleeding during sex. It`s not a lot of blood, but when my boyfriend pulls out I can clearly see it on him. It usually appears as a thicker consistency than normal blood, kind of like period blood, however when I go to the bathroom afterward and wipe the blood looks much thinner like I might have torn something. My boyfriend is large but we have been active with each other for about 9 months now, and he is not my first either, so I don`t think that it is possible for him to break my hymen any more, if that even is possible after the first time. I have had a recent PAP and have been tested for STD`s and both came back normal. I tend to have discharge everyday, but my gyno said that it is the vagina`s way of keeping itself clean. I seem to be prone to yeast infections, not very major ones, but every time i get swabbed a small amount of yeast does show up and my doctor will give me medicine to take for it. My great grandma had ovarian cancer but she got it in her 80`s so that doesn`t even seem like it would be plausible considering I am 18. Also, when my boyfriend and I have sex, I sometimes create a white creamy looking discharge. I`ve looked on sites and it said that it could be because he is reaching a gland near my cervix and that is what is secreting it to help lubricate. I don`t know if this is normal or not. I am totally lost in what might be going on with me, but it makes me feel like i have possibly the nastiest vag in the world and makes it hard to have good sex when i am constantly feeling self-conscious. Please help!

Answer:

Bleeding during or after intercourse is usually due to some friable (easily bleeding) area of the vaginal or cervical surface.  This irritation could be due to infection, trauma (like a tear or scrape) or abnormal growth of tissue (like a polyp or abnormal cervical cells).  It sounds like you have been recently examined, and have had infections or cervical abnormalities ruled out (although a yeast infection can occasionally cause sufficient irritation to induce bleeding.)

Sometimes an examination can identify a particularly friable area where blood vessels close to the surface are prone to break.  Treating such an area with a styptic (chemical) or freezing will often solve the problem.  You may get more insight reading this previous answer as well: http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/74596.htm

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology