Chlamydia, or a False Alarm??

01/22/2010

Question:

This past September, I went to a doctor because of what seemed to be a pretty bad bladder infection. He prescribed antibiotics and sent my urine sample off to culture, and I didn`t hear anything back. Usually no news is good news with Doctors so I didn`t inquire further.

About a week ago, an ex from about a year ago informed me that he had just been told he had chlamydia. Everything I have read tells me that he is probably in the early stages of infection if he is feeling the symptoms, and that I am likely safe. I haven`t felt any symptoms, but I know that doesn`t necessarily mean I`m clear. I had a pap test during the summer, too, so that makes it a

My questions, specifically: Do paps automatically check for STDs, or was there a form I was supposed to fill out...? Would my urine culture have indicated chlamydia as the infection, rather than a UTI?? And, if so, would I likely have been contacted with those results?

This is an old enough ex that I am quite confident he contracted the chlamydia after we broke up, but it never hurts to ask.

Thank you.

Answer:

Please follow up with your doctor and have gonorrhea and chlamydia tested specifically. A urine test does not check for gonorrhea and chlamydia unless specified. A Pap smear tests only for cervical cancer. Sometimes Trichomonas, bacterial vaginosis, or yeast can be seen. I hope this helped.

Riza T Conroy, MD Riza T Conroy, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine