COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Emphysema and CPT (Cardio Pulmonary Therapy)

11/19/2009

Question:

I was a regestered respiratory therapist for many years but I`ve forgotton much of what I learned. Why is CPT contraindicated for emphysema. I don`t get why it wouldn`t be good for the places where you can hear air movement.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. I am assuming that you are referring to chest physiotherapy (percussion and postural drainage) when you say "cardiopulmonary therapy". There is not a contraindication for chest physiotherapy for emphysema, but there is no data that supports its use either. Chest physiotherapy would not be helpful for emphysema because lung tissue is destroyed in emphysema,caused by lack of air movement. In cystic fibrosis, for example, chest physiotherapy is helpful because the lack of air movement is due to mucous impaction.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep