Concern re: repeating deviated septum proced.

11/09/2009

Question:

I had procedure as a young teen about 30 years ago, and was conscience for about a minute or so (could hear talking as something was being jammed deep in my nostril ... doc told me I was dreaming) and experienced trauma / pain. Have significant deviation again with nearly no air passage in one nostril and 25% or so in the other, but have ben nervous about repeating it for years. Two questions: what advances have been made since the early 70`s in the procedure that make it more tolerable or successful, and can you list several Cincinnati area specialists that would be good choices. The removal of the gauze packing was also a terrible experience at that time. Thanks for anything you can add to relieve my anxiety.

Answer:

In Cincinnati these days the procedure is almost always done under general anesthesia, so nothing is placed into your nose until you are asleep.  Speaking for myself, we do not keep the nose packed after this surgery, so there is no gauze packing.  Most ENT physicians in the Cincinnati area perform this procedure, although since you have had it done in the past and this would be a revision procedure, you may want to consider someone who does more nasal surgery, such as a rhinology specialist.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy