Drugs Only Way to Treat Osteroporosis?

11/04/2009

Question:

I have just had a bone density test after three years and there has been some decline in the lombar part of the spine, the rest, hips, neck etc. are fine, I jog, every other day,eat well, take vitamins reg. but am told I need to go on drugs for the Osteroporosis right away by my endocrin Doctor. My reg doctor who is more holistic said to up the calcium etc. The endrocrin doctor is not in agreement but has only given me the option of drugs, is there no other way these days? I`m not comfortable with drugs if not absolutely necessary, I am on synthroid. thankyou

Answer:

I need more information to answer your question. How old are you? Have you ever taken estrogen or progestin after menopause? Did you mother or grandmother have osteoporosis, such as a significant decrease in height or any fractures? Do you have any other medical conditions and are you taking any medications besides synthroid? Also, what was your T-score on the DXA bone density? What drug has the endrocrinologist suggested?

Additional information provided by Glen Aukerman, MD:

We would look at your magnesium, calcium, Vit D and PTH test results to manage this so would need those numbers to advise you.

Debra K Gardner, PhamD Debra K Gardner, PhamD
Former Assistant Clinical Professor of Pharmacy College Business Office
Internal Resource Pool-Allied at OSU Medical Center
Wexner Medical Center

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine