Cough

11/06/2009

Question:

I had a stuffy runny nose with no chills or fever so I know it is not the swine flu. Now I have a cough that sounds like a barking seal when I exhale and a high pitched squeal when I inhale. I had bronchitis 3 times last year. I am also on immunesupressive medication for my RA and I have pulmonary hypertension that I have no symptoms of. Could this type of cough be from bronchitis?

Answer:

It sounds like you have some respiratory infection going on, but it is hard to pinpoint it without an examination. Please see your provider SOON to have the determination made for the best approach. Antibiotics are not always the best answer. In the meantime, drink lots of fluids, rest and stay away from crowds. Try a humidifier in your bedroom to ease your cough. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD