Urinary Disorders

Kidney Pain

11/12/2009

Question:

I have had 2 episodes of kidney stones (calcium). One surgery was lithotripsy and the other was removal via cathader. Since the last surgery, aprrox 2 yrs ago, I have had an increase in pain in the same (left) kidney. I have had blood tests (normal), KUB xray that shows a calcification, and an ultrasound (normal). Now I`m scheduled for a CT scan. My urologist thinks this calcification is NOT a stone but something to do with the artery. Can you enlighten me with any details and/or treatment?

Answer:

The CT scan will be the most definitive xray for determining if the calcification noted is a kidney stone or a calcification in some other location such as a blood vessel. This will help to determine if the discomfort you are experiencing may be related to a stone. The approach the urologist is taking appears appropriate to rule in or out stone as the cause of your discomfort.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology