mass on the right side of my uterus.

11/06/2009

Question:

i was in the er and they did a catscan of my stomach because they thought the pain was from my appendix. the catscan revealed that my appendix is fine but there is a mass about 8 cm on the right side of my uterus. i am in a lot of pain and feel sick all the time. i know it can be a cyst, but i`ve been in a lot of apin for a week. do you have any idea of what is wrong/

Answer:

Computed tomography (CT) scans provide doctors with a great deal of insight into what is going on inside the body by revealing structures using X-rays.  Depending on the appearance, the CT scan can suggest that an area contains fluid, air, blood, solid tissue, or bone. 

There are many structures in the pelvis (the area that includes the uterus, the ovaries, and the appendix).  Your description could occur in many situations.  It would be best to speak with the physician who has looked at your CT to find out what kind of mass was seen and how it should be treated.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology