Infertility

Scarring on fallopian tubes

11/18/2009

Question:

2 yrs ago I had a miscarriage, my local hospital left me to bleed for 2 months, no D&C, no medication they just "let nature take its course". I have been told I have scarring on one of my tubes, I was asked if I have ever had chlamidia, which I havent (tested regularly).....could the scarring have been caused by my miscarriage(they queried it was ectopic) or by any mistreatment? They now say the only way I can get pregnant is IVF

Answer:

There is no evidence that miscarriages or bleeding results in blocked tubes. If you did not have signs of infection during your miscarriage, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that this is when tubal damage occurred. It is possible that your tubes were damaged by a mild infection some time prior to your miscarriage that you were unaware of. Only a portion of pelvic infections are related to Chlamydia or gonorrhea. Without knowing the results of your laparoscopy, it is impossible to estimate your chances of getting pregnant without IVF. If one tube is open, and there is minimal or no scarring on the outside of your tubes and ovaries, then there is still a reasonable chance that you could get pregnant without IVF. You should consult a fertility expert if you have not already.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology