Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Lung diseases




I have had broncitis 4 times since March. I cough, gag and almost throw up. I went to the er because I got worse and when I phoned my GP he told me to go there. When I got there the er doctor said that if you were two years old I would say that you had the croup. Now not only is my chest, stomach and back paining from couhgng but it is also from gaging. I am 36 years old. I am already using a vaporizer and on antibitics. I am losing weight for no reason. Is there any thing else that I can do at home to help with the cough?


There are many causes of persistent cough including infections (such as whooping cough or tuberculosis), asthma, gastroesophageal reflux, medications (such as the class of drugs called ACE inhibitors, often used for high blood pressure or heart disease), chronic nasal drainage, or damage to the vocal cords (such as a condition known as vocal cord dysfunction). If the cough has continued this long, you may want to ask your physician about seeing a pulmonologist in consultation. The pulmonologist will likely get a chest x-ray (if not already done) and check a breathing test (spirometry) to look for asthma.

For more information:

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University