Gynecology

Large Uterus Age 55 No Other Symptoms

11/20/2009

Question:

I am 55, last period was about 2 years ago, have not even had minor spotting since then and never had any problems with periods. During routine physical last week I had pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound. My doctor said my uterus was a but large (15 cm) but they didn`t see any fibroids (I had a few fibroids 2 years ago). My doc wants me to have a biopsy. I have no stomach pain, no symptoms at all, I feel good (my only problem is that I need to lose about 90 pounds) I am very worried but should I be?

Answer:

Typically the uterus is enlarged because of fibroids or possibly the ingrowth of the lining of the uterus into the muscle. The fibroids should show up on ultrasound. The other condition may be suggested on sonogram, but not always. A biopsy of the lining of the uterus is important for ruling in/out uterine lining (endometrium) precancer/cancer. This is suggested by abnormal uterine bleeding OR a thickened lining on ultrasound. I am not sure what was seen on the ultrasound to suggest a biopsy, but an enlarged uterus is not one of them. Without symptoms, I would ask your physician why they feel the biopsy is needed and what they are looking for.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education