White Spots

11/13/2009

Question:

A couple of days ago I chewed a piece of gum that was very hard,and hurt my gums. Yesterday morning I was brushing my teeth and noticed they were red and badly hurting when I looked I saw a small cut on the side of my gum ,so I gargalled with salt water. This morning I woke up and saw little white spots on the side lower part of my gums they look like little pimples. Now I do have to say that this past weekend I used crest white strips and used a completely different toothpaste im not sure if that would be the cause, but I am worried.  

Answer:

Several of the whitening products are known to cause minor damage to the gum tissue, resulting in white areas. Generally these clear up in a few days if the whitening agent is stopped.

If you think it still looks strange after one week, then you should ideally make an appointment to see an oral pathologist for further evaluation. Thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology