PMS the First Two Weeks of Cycle?

12/03/2009

Question:

I was wondering what would cause severe breast tenderness, joint aches, slight depression, tiredness and a bloating feeling right after my period. These symptoms are what is typically described as PMS, so why am I getting them day 1-14 of my cycle? I have been experiencing these symptoms the past three months.

My periods are on time down to the exact day always. I am 35 years old, never had children, don`t smoke, don`t drink alcohol, physically fit, vegetarian, take mulitvitamins and supplements.

I am extremely sensitive to sodium and caffeine so I really watch my intake.

I am currently under a lot of stress, and preparing for a major life change, marriage and an international move.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

PMS, or premenstrual syndrome, is a condition that encompasses a variety of problems that are thought to be triggered by hormonal  changes in the second half of the menstrual cycle.  Symptoms may include breast tenderness, bloating, fatigue, poor concentration, irritability, and depression.  When the mood changes are the predominant feature, the syndrome is called PMDD, or premenstrual dysphoric disorder.  In either case, the hallmark is that the symptoms only occur in the second half ("luteal phase") of the cycle and completely disappear after the menstrual bleeding begins.

Symptoms that get worse after the period cannot be PMS but still might have a hormonal cause.  For example, an underactive thyroid gland can cause many of the same symptoms.  The problem could be unrelated to the menstrual cycle, especially if there are any other changes that occur on a monthly basis (for example, use of any medications, contraception, food, or environmental exposures that might coincide with a particular time of month).

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology