Gum Diseases

Gum Getting Black

12/17/2009

Question:

Hi there ,, Im 26 years old and i start to have problem with My gum getting black in a place where i had New Unreal teeth Like teeth bridge .. SO it cus me bad smell and black color in the gum where i have the teeth bridge ,, I wish i can find away to get it back As red and i get ride of the bad smell too ,, Looking foreword to hear from you

Best regards

Answer:

Do you mean black space or black gums?  Black space occurs due to bone loss under the gums. You are saying that your bridge is new. When did you loose the tooth, and how long did you wait before you had the bridge? Sometimes restoration is done too fast following extraction, and bone resorption continues at the extraction site. Then you develop black spaces under the new restoration.

If your gums are turning into color black, this may be due to various reasons: allergies to restorative materials, restorative material leaking into gums, metal showing from your gums and other possibly more severe reasons. Since it is a new restoration, I recommend you to revisit the dentist who did the restoration. He/she should be able to determine the possible reason and hopely prevent it.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology