Irregular Periods and More

01/07/2010

Question:

Hello, I have an irregular period cycle. Normally it is a few days late each cycle or a few times (3 or 4) since the first time I`ve ever had my period I have completely skipped a month. Recently in November my period did not arrive, I assumed it would come a few days late as usual but it did not. Although 2 days before it was supposed to come I did have a brownish discharge which last about a day and a half. Yes, I am sexually active but ALWAYS use protection. So I took a pregnancy test, I took two test just for accuracy, and they both turned out negative. Technically my period should be arriving within the next week again if it comes back on track. I do not feel as if I have had any pregnancy symptoms. This week I have felt crampy as if my period is coming, but what bothers me is I have had small stomach problems in the past and are get worried that the reason my stomach hurts now is from being pregnant and not my normally stomach problems as before. I have not been nauseas or anything else of the sort. I know stress can push your period back and because I keep worrying isn’t helping much. 

My main questions are, in Nov when I had the brown discharge is that normal? and after taking two home pregnancy test is that accurate to say that I am definitely not pregnant? Can having sex after a missed period push it back more? And is there any other advice you can give me! 

Sorry for having such a long explaination and question. Thank you for your time!

Answer:

Brownish vaginal discharge during the time of your cycle is normal. However, vaginal discharge that has an odor or is associated with vaginal itching and burning may be a sign of an infection.

With regards to the pregnancy test, if you took the pregnancy test approximately 1-2 weeks after intercourse or missed period and it is negative and then repeated it a few days later and it was negative, then your probably are not pregnant. However, if you took both pregnancy tests within a few days of intercourse and it is negative then you would need to repeat the pregnancy test about 1 week to 10 days later.

No, having sex after a missed period should not delay it unless you become pregnant or stressed. Stress can delay your cycle. I would advise that you follow-up with your doctor to be certain.

Esa M Davis, MD, MPH Esa M Davis, MD, MPH
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Family Medicine