Anesthesia

Anesthesia Related Taste Loss

12/08/2009

Question:

My father is experiencing his second incidence of taste loss with no loss of smell. Both times the taste loss was preceeded by inflammation of the mouth with a very high sensitivity to acidic foods which resolved after a few days. This time the loss of taste is more persistant and he has lost weight. Both episodes occurred after having general anesthesia. I read a similar question that was answered, however the answer focused on loss of smell as being the most possible cause. My father has not lost his sense of smell. What can he do to return or improve his sense of taste?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Loss of Taste with General Anesthesia
Loss of taste after hand surgery
Anesthesia reactions to food and alcohol
Loss of taste/smell, tongue feels scalded

Go to the Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org