Dental and Oral Health Center

Roof of Mouth Problem

12/14/2009

Question:

For a couple days, the roof of my mouth felt like there was a scratch on it. Then, today I woke up and it feels raised. It went down since the morning. But there are white lines like stretch marks going from the back of my front teeth down the curve of the roof of my mouth and it is sensitive to the cold/hot foods/drinks. Also I just tried eating crunchberries and it felt like it was scratching it. Thanks.

Answer:

The description you provide does not sound like any specific condition, but neither does it sound like something serious.

Some of what you describe may be normal parts of the roof of the mouth that you just have never examined so closely before. Scratches or linear abrasions of the roof of the mouth do occur on occasion, usually due to rough, coarse or sharp food. It is possible that you "scratched" yourself while eating, without noticing it until later, especially as healing started to take place. This area should resolve within a week. If it does not, or if it becomes worse, you should see your dentist.

Good luck!

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology