Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Women's Health

Uterus Infection



1. How does the doctor diagnose uterus infection? 2. Can it be detected from looking at your part without any test? 3. What is a TCT test? 4. And normally, besides TCT test, what other test does the doctor normally perform? 5. What should be done if having uterus infection? 6. Normally what treatment are given, is it oral medication or injection? 7. How long does it takes to recover? 8. If the doctor didn`t give me anything and asked me to wait for the TCT test and said I have uterus infection even without any test, should I seek another doctor for more opinions?

Please advise. Thanks!


An infection of the uterus is called endometritis, and most commonly occurs after bacteria is introduced into the uterine cavity by a procedure such as a D&C (scraping of the uterine lining, sometimes done at the time of abortion), or a birth. 

Some aggressive bacteria (such as from a sexually transmitted disease like gonorrhea or Chlamydia) can infect the uterus and tubes, causing a generalized pelvic infection called PID (pelvic inflammatory disease).  Occasionally, the infection can be present for long periods with only a few symptoms such as dull ache and irregular bleeding; this is called chronic endometritis.

A diagnosis of endometritis is suspected when a woman has pain and tenderness of the uterus, particularly after a procedure.  Fever may or may not be present.  A purulent discharge from the cervical opening is characteristic.  In such a situation, antibiotics are used to treat the infection.

I am not sure what you are referring to with a "TCT test".  Perhaps you are referring to CT, which may be an abbreviation for Chlamydia Trachomatis, one of the causative agents of PID.

For more information:

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University