Dental and Oral Health Center

White Pimple on Upper Gumline

12/22/2009

Question:

I went to the dentist last month for my 6 month check up and x-rays. They notice a small white looks like a white pimple. I do not feel it and does not hurt. He did take another x-ray around that area and said to keep an eye on it. It come and goes. I did have two crowns in that area. It is on the upper gumline and I only feel it with my finger rubs on it.

Answer:

Your description sounds as if this could be what is known as a sinus tract. This develops when the pulp ("nerve") of one of the teeth in the area dies, and the infection burrows through the bone and surfaces on the gum. The teeth in this area need to be checked carefully to figure out if one of them has a dead pulp.

If there is a dead pulp, then either root canal treatment or extraction (removal) of the tooth would be needed to clear up the infection. If your dentist can't determine if the teeth are OK, then you should probably be referred to an endodontist (root canal specialist) for further evaluation.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology