Swollen parotid

12/28/2009

Question:

I have had an issue for the past several days with swelling in front of my ear. Painful to chew. Went to urgent care today. Said I had swollen lymph nodes from possible sinus or ear infection. Am taking dioxycyline twice daily. Should I see my family physician for more diagnosis? I am not comfortable that the physician understood my issue was with the swelling and pain when chewing.

Answer:

I agree that an exam by your family physician is a great place to start. This could be a swollen lymph node, an infection in your parotid (salivary) gland, a benign parotid mass, or an issue with the jaw joint.  It sounds as though you are on an appropriate antibiotic.  If it does not resolve, your family practitioner may ask for an ENT or dental evaluation.

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center