Intense ear pain

01/06/2010

Question:

I got Swimmers ear back in Feb of 2007. My doctor prescribed me the oridinary medicine and it went away. I then experienced popping in my ear and could feel fluid. I went to the doctor right away and was told I had just popped my eardrum. I was given some pain medication and sent home. I, then noticed I couldn`t get water in my ear otherwise there would be severe pain. I went swimming one and got water in my ear. My mom tried putting swimmers ear medicine in, but it made me scream in pain. I couldn`t move because the pain was so intense. I went to the doctor, and then sent me straight to the ear specialist. She cleaned my ear of fluid and put tubes in. I wasn`t prescribed anything as she said it would take car of everything. The pain continued and I still couldn`t even get water in my ear. The car windows couldn`t be down either because the wind made my ear hurt. I went back to the doctor again and was setup immediately with the ear specialist because I had blood present in my ear. The ear specialist cleaned my ear of fluid again and pulled out the tube in my ear because it was coming out. I was sent home once again feeling fine. I am able to get my ear wet to a certain extent, without severe pain. However, my ear experiences random pain. Sometimes, It`ll hurt for hours because I bent down once, or it just may come on suddenly when I am sitting on the couch. The doctors have tried to tell me it is a problem with the equilibrium in my ear, but I have had no problems until I got swimmers ear that one day. Other than that, they have not been able to diagnosis me with any other thing.

Answer:

At the least, it sounds like you are getting better. Sometimes, ear infection related pain can take a little while to get better. If you want a 2nd opinion, consider seeing an otologist. I am curious if any of your pain is TMJ dysfunction related. Hope you continue to get better.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program