Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Women's Health

Cervical Fibroid



I am almost 45 years old and have not ever had children. For the past few months I have had some spotty bleeding (more dark, clotting and sporadic). I have also noticed that I can feel something that is irritating when I wipe at times (can be itchy) but it is not always present. I can feel that it has enlarged but it is difficult to see it with a flashlight and mirror as it is higher up in the vaginal area. Eventually fresh blood comes as well, almost like when a pimple has been popped and the area seems to lose its size. I don`t really have a lot of pain--some cramping is all. This irritation has disappeared in the past but just resurfaced again and now I am thinking fibroid as my mom had a history of fibroids. After asking her, she stated her symptoms were not the same and I started looking online and saw the cervical fibroid. Where it said it didn`t have any real noticeable symptoms I am unsure. As for pain during sex, I wish I could give you some details but I have not been in a relationship or had sex in almost four years so I cannot comment on that.


Fibroids (or leiomyomata) are benign smooth muscle tumors of the uterus.  They can grow to varying sizes in different parts of the uterus, either on the uterine surface, which might just cause pressure or a feeling of larger abdominal girth, or in the uterine lining, which might cause excessive menstrual bleeding. 


A fibroid growing in the cervix (the neck of the uterus) would probably not be felt until it was quite large.  If a fibroid growing in the uterine lining becomes forced out of the uterus, it may come through the cervix (what is called an aborting sub mucous fibroid). Profuse bleeding and severe pain would usually accompany this, though.

If you feel something within the vagina that is irritating and leading to intermittent bleeding, it is unlikely to be a fibroid.  More likely, it is a lesion of the vaginal surface.  Such lesions could be due to infection or tumor.   It would require an examination by a health care provider to determine what the cause of your symptoms is.

For more information:

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University