After Laser Procedure

12/30/2009

Question:

This is with reference to the topic "Black spots appearing in Right eye".I had a hemorrhage in my right eye`s retina which bled into the vitreous and i under went a laser procedure.My question is that i am still seeing black spots and i also asked my doctor, he said that it will take like 2 weeks for vision to get back to normal. The laser procedure was done on 24th of this month.Today is 29th. Is it normal that the blood is gonna take sometime to settle down even after the laser procedure? If not then do let me know because I am worried about this whole thing.

Thankyou.

Answer:

I'm glad to hear you received laser therapy for your retinal hemorrhage. That will stop further blood from entering your vitreous. However, the blood that is already there will require several more weeks to completely resolve; and during that time, you will continue to see the spots in your right eye.

If you also had swelling (edema) associated with the blood, which is very common, it is likely that your vision will improve but will never be as clear as it was before the hemorrhage. Follow your eye surgeon's advice carefully during the post-operative phase of your treatment.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry