Dental Anesthesia

Stroke Symptoms After Local Dental Anesthesia

01/07/2010

Question:

Following root canal work last week I experienced stroke symptoms and was admitted to the stroke unit of local hospital. MRI and CT scans showed no brain "event" and diagnosis was a form of migraine. Discharged that day but symptoms got worse and worsr with slurred speech facial droop, leag and arm weakness and loss of strength in fingers ets. Now a week later and symptoms arw slowly improving. Dr is baffled. I`m worried as can be. Has the local anaesthetic somehowq damaged the neurological nerves, will I recover. Help please.

Answer:

I am sorry for your difficulties. I do not know enough about this event to make a determination if the local anesthetic was even responsible for this, although it would be hard to make that determination even with all the facts. I am sorry that I am in the same position as your physician in knowing your prognosis as it appears the diagnosis is somewhat in question. Perhaps further neurologic consultation is needed? 

Go to the Dental Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS
Formerly, Clinical Professor of Dentistry