Can Uterine Fibroids Cause Soft Pale Stools?

02/18/2010

Question:

I`ve recently been diagnosed with uterine fibroids (5cm or so). Over the past year or so, I`ve noticed that the color of my stool has become a lighter color (not gray). I`ve also noticed that I have an urgency to go to the bathroom (similar to what I`ve read regarding urination urgency) - not frequent - just very regular and fairly urgent. Is it normal to have the opposite of constipation (not diarhea) with fibroids?

Answer:

Uterine Fibroids, or Leiomyomata, are smooth muscle tumors of the uterine wall.  Depending on how big they are and where they are located in the uterus, they may cause symptoms or have no symptoms at all.  The most common symptoms include abnormal periods (either very heavy bleeding or very painful periods), problems with getting pregnant or carrying a pregnancy, or discomfort from pressure on adjacent organs (like discomfort with sex or exercise, or urinating more frequently).

Although it is possible that a fibroid growing off the back wall of the uterus could push on the part of the colon that contains stool and give a sensation of having to make a bowel movement, this would be unusual.  It would not change the color or consistency of the stool.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology