Pimples and Acne Problem

01/19/2010

Question:

I am having extensive pimple growth on my face and title bit on my back as well. I got my pelvic sonography done and the reports show that no cyst formation. so what could be the reason now ?what should I do ?

Answer:

Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a condition in which women do not ovulate regularly, and therefore have infrequent or irregular bleeding. Because of the imbalance of hormones that result, women with this condition often have effects of high levels of male-type hormones (androgens), such as acne, oily skin, and hair growth in unwanted areas like the lips, chin, chest and back.

Despite the name, women with this condition do not have to have cysts on the ovaries to have the syndrome. The diagnosis is made based on symptoms, and sometimes-hormonal blood tests. Because there are many other causes of acne as well, it would be best to consult a doctor to find out what would be the best treatment for you.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology