Ongoing Pain in Different Parts of Mouth

01/11/2010

Question:

I continue to experience dental pain, which has been changing from one part of my mouth to another. I`ve had a number of root canals and crowns over the past year; but each time I think I`ve taken care of the problem, I experience pain in a different area, leading to another root canal and crown cycle. This is both expensive and increasingly frightening.

While my dentists are good, I still haven`t found reasons for this continuing pain, except possible bad luck or general aging. My dental hygiene and diet are both pretty good. My gums, on visits, seem to be okay -- no very deep pockets. I get regular (3-month) cleanings. I have no other significant health problems I`m aware of.

Might there be something systemic (or someting else) going on that I am missing? I`d be grateful for any thoughts you might have on possible causes, treatment,and especially prevention in this situation. Thanks very much for your guidance.

Answer:

My first guess would be that you are grinding or clenching your teeth. A crown may help since it does change your occlusion which may change how things are affected when you are grinding. I would suggest trying an over-the-counter nightguard (Doctor's Nightguard is one brand) and see if you get any relief. If you do, your dentist should be able to make you a custom nightguard that would fit better and also would be less bulky.

Good luck.

Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care Dentistry